As mention in my last Falling for Fridays post our master bedroom just doesn’t feel right. We bought this bedding on clearance online when we upgraded to our king sized bed and I’ve never really loved it. I thought it looked bright and airy and I liked the ‘plumpness’ of it. Turns out it reminds me more of camo colors than anything else and the pillow covers (shams & euros) lost their look after one wash. No matter how I ironed & starched I couldn’t get the edges crisp and full again and it just looked dumpy.
Then I found a king-sized comforter set at Target on clearance that I really liked and picked it up for our guest bedroom. It stayed up there for a few months and I kept wishing it was in our master (because, you know switching them would have been sooooo hard). I didn’t think the cream & grey-brown would go with our current paint color (SW Silvermist) which I love. And no, repainting wasn’t an option because I’m pretty sure Matt would have laughed in my face if I mentioned it (we just paid to have this room professionally painted nine months ago).
And then I saw this picture that gave me confidence:
I was striping the upstairs beds to wash the sheets after some guests left when I finally decided to just try it. And then I kicked myself for not doing it long ago. Because it’s just so much better. The colors play really nicely together (who knew) and I think I can finally see a vision for this space that I just didn’t have before.
There is still much that needs to be done but it’s an improvement.
I still want to do the following things in this space:
- get a new bed skirt
- re-upholster the headboard or build a bed frame
- thrift & re-finish two night stands (the current white one will move upstairs, the other is a laundry hamper)
- thrift & re-finish two dressers (a tall one to replace the wooden shelving which will be stained & move to the living room, and a long one to replace the current dorm dressers which will be saved & painted for future kiddos)
- replace the curtains? (more cream-colored? move the current ones upstairs?)
- repaint the initials over the bed frame? change the art out?
- add silver/glass lamps
And here is my first ‘mood board’ (please forgive my pretty pathetic editing skills)
Have you ever ‘shopped’ your house to work with what you have? Did you believe something would never work until you saw it with your own eyes?